If you want to have different shelves for your house, this wooden hexagon can be an answer. This kind of shelves can be a storage and decoration at the same time. Moreover, making it is pretty simple and you can do it by yourself.
Materials and Tools
- 6 pieces of wooden sticks x 3
- Wood glue
- Acrylic paint
- Prepare the materials and tools before starting this tutorial. You can choose your own wooden sticks sizes and make sure that to form a hexagon, you will need the same size wooden sticks.
- Combine 6 wooden sticks together to form one hexagon and secure them using the wood glue. Wait for it to dry, and then you can go to the next step. If you want to make the shelf stronger and you do not want to wait for the glue to dry, you can use drill to screw the shelf. On the other side, you need to be very careful if you use weak wooden sticks since they will break easily.
- Gluing your hexagon is not really a guarantee that your hexagon is strong enough. Secure is again for the each side by stapling it using stapler.
- Using the sander, smooth the wood. Make sure that the stapler is not visible.
- Make sticks shinier using varnish. To use it, you just need to dip the cloth on the varnish and carefully apply it on the wood.
- Using a brush, paint the hexagon in your desired color. You can be creative by only paint the inside of the hexagon, or you can color them all, or you can also paint the hexagon in a different color from one another.
- Hang the hexagon shelves on the wall using nails and hammer. Repeat the steps to make the other hexagon. In arranging it, you can make them close to each other like a honey comb, or you can hang them in different locations. Then, you just need to place some things to be placed on the shelf.
In making this hexagon shelf, you need to consider the materials that you want to use. The stronger wooden sticks are recommended since they will not break easily and they are able to hold some weight. If you are choosing this kind of wood, you need to consider using drill and screws to combine them.