Do you want to have unique shelf without having to waste your money to buy them on the store? You can make this branch shelf and you can find the materials around you. It will make the good decoration and shelf, and also you can save a lot of money by making this.
- Pine board, 1×4 inches
- Tree limbs, six to 10 pieces
- D ring hangers
- Brush, or foam for paint
- Paint, here we use Graphic Carcoal with matte finish from Behr Premium
- Microfiber cloth
- Sanding block, here we use the 220 grit one
- Wood filler
- Reciprocating saw
- Screws, square trim ones
- Wood glue
- Drill bits
- Circular saw
- Take the pine wood and measure them. We will need the 28 inches long pieces and 16 inches long pieces, two for each of the measurement. Cut according to this measurement.
- Now, let’s make the frame. Take the pine wood pieces and form a frame. First, pre drill the wood. To attach it, use the wood glue and then continue with the screws.
- Now, the frame is ready. Place it over an even surface. Take the limb one by one and put them inside the frame. Set each limb as you want it and mark the excess you need to cut. If you need to cut on both ends, make sure to mark them all so you don’t cut it wrong. Next, cut the entire limbs. You need to clamp them one by one before cutting to secure it. Then cut using the reciprocating saw.
- Now, we need to attach the limbs to the frame. You need to screw the center of the limb from the outside of the frame on both ends. Then, secure the position with the screws. Repeat it to the entire limbs.
- Now, fill the shallow surface where you use the screws with the wood fillers to cover the screws at the same time. When the filler is dry, sand the surface and remove the remaining debris using the microfiber cloth.
- Using the paint brush, apply generous layer of paint on the frame. In this project, the limbs are finished in the same color to make things easier. If you want the natural color of the limbs, paint the frame first before you attach the limbs. Cover the surface where you use screws with wood filler and paint later.
- Now, let’s add the D ring hangers on the frame. Choose a side that will be facing the wall. Mark two spots on the right and left and attach the hanger using the drill and screws. Your branch shelf is ready.