If you are planning in making the floating shelf, do not do it just yet! You need to read this first since the floating shelf can be made by yourself using the pipe and board. If you are interested in making it, prepare the tools and materials needed.
Materials and tools:
- Measuring tape
- 6 ¾” Floor Flanges
- 6 ¾” caps
- 6 ¾”x8 nipples
- Phillips head screwdriver both hand screwdriver and electric screwdriver
- Black spray paint
- 1 board with your desired length
- 1 ¼”x8 – 3.18 cm coarse thread drywall screws
The Making Steps
- Prepare your shelves, choose the thicker one, and add several holes. To make the shelves smooth, use sandpaper on each side. Moreover, you can also paint the shelves with varnish to make it shinier.
- First, wash the oil from the pipe using water. Then clean your pipe again with water and soap to remove the grease and grime.
- Screw the floor flange, cap and nipple together. For screwing the brackets, use hand screwdriver.
- Smooth the uneven parts of the brackets using sandpaper. Then, spray the black paint to each bracket and let them dry. Repeat spraying the bracket using the black paint to make sure that you do not miss a spot.
- Then, choose the place to hang the shelf.
- Try to sturdy the shelf and if you are not sure, add some wall anchors to it. To make it parallel, use the level above it.
- If the shelf has been balanced, screw the brackets into place. To screw the brackets to the wall, you need to use electric screwdriver. Then, to have the exact position, mark the wall using pencil. If you want the brackets to be perfect, you can use black screws so that the screw will be camouflaged.
- Then, try to hold the level on the first bracket. Make sure that it is in a balanced position then put the second bracket below it and mark it again using pencil.
- Screw the second bracket based on your previous mark and does the same to the other selves.
- If the brackets have been done, lay the shelves above them. Do not worry since they are pretty sturdy. If you are still afraid that the shelves will move, add some straps on the pipe and on the shelves and you can use the hand screwdriver. Do not forget to paint the straps black, so they will have same color.