Have you ever thought of having plates as your wall decorations? If the answer is yes, you have come to the right place. But, having the unique plate decoration is hard since the motifs and shapes choices are limited. Worry not, now you can make the plates yourself using the simple materials and simple steps.
- White ceramic plates with various shapes
- Oil-based paint Sharpie with different colors
- Rubbing alcohol
- Non-toxic acrylic sealant
- Adhesive plate disk or museum putty
- Nails and hammer
- Prepare the plates that you want to use, make sure that those plates are clean so that you won’t have a problem with the sharpie later on.
- Start drawing the plates using the oil-based paint sharpie. Go wild with the drawing and use different colors to make the plates more interesting. Remember that the sharpie used should be the oil-based, unless it won’t last long if you wash the plates later on. If you have made some mistakes about the drawing, tub them off using the rubbing alcohol.
- After you have finished, place the plates in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If you want to make the plates last longer if you wash them, put them in the oven for an hour.
- Spray the plates using the non-toxic acrylic sealant. If you do not use the plates as the plates for food, you can use the regular acrylic sealant.
- Place the adhesive plate disk in the back of each plate.
- Decide where to hang the plates and hammer the nails on the wall. Hang the plates carefully on the nails.
- Or since the adhesive plate disk is pretty expensive, you can use museum putty to hang the plates. Put two to three museum putties at the back of each plate and press the plates on the wall firmly. Make sure that the wall is clean from the dusk, unless the plates won’t stick perfectly.
- If you do not want to risk the plates to fall down, you can arrange the plates on the cabinet in your kitchen or living room as to decorate the cabinet itself.
If you want to use the plates for food, you need to be very considerate about the chemicals, remember to always choose the non-toxic materials. Other than that, they are easy to make and suitable as decoration, aren’t they?