Outdoor sofa, especially with the unique style and design, is more than just expensive. The sad truth is no matter how much we need it, they are just not affordable. But, don’t worry as you have the option of DIY sofa. It is going to be way more affordable. All supplies you need to purchase and all steps you need to follow are summarized below.
- IKEA Outdoor Cushions
- Side panels in the size of 8’ long 4x8s and 2x8s for the back and bottom pieces
- L-brackets join the bottom and the back pieces with the panels
- Lag screws in size of 8” to join the 4×8 pieces
- Minwax grey stain
- Clean rag
- RYOBI 18 Volt Cordless Drill
- RYOBi 10” Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Lase
- RYOBI Orbital Sander
- RYOBI 18 Volt Circular Saw
- Using the compound miter saw, make 32” cut from the 8 foot long 4x8s.
- Using the measurements of your sofa cushions, make 1 cut for the back and 3 cuts for the bottom pieces from the 2x8s pieces.
- Get rid of rough surface and edges by sanding the 4×8 pieces off with your orbital sander. Then, make the edges round by sanding them with 90 grits then continued with the 220 grit ones.
- If you happen to find your 8” lag screws not long enough to join the 4x8s, make 1 ¼” diameter holes for in 3 inches depth in the 4x8s by drilling them to recess the lag screws.
- Next, take your L-brackets and screw them between the middle 4×8 and the bottom 4×8 on the seam. Don’t forget to lay out the two sides panels too.
- Next, on the underside of the L-brackets, screw in the 2x8s pieces. To make the screwing process, flip over the panes so you can assemble the pieces upside down.
- After that, make some marks to indicate the L-brackets’ location on the back rest using a pencil and a speed square. Then, screw in the brackets to the side panels and also the 2×8 piece.
- Then, give your frame a finish by applying Minwax grey stain that will turn your piece to grey under the sun light. Apply the stain using a brush. Let it dry for about 15 minutes. Using a clean rag, wipe off the excess stain.
- Finally, throw on the IKEA outdoor cushions. Your outdoor sofa is now ready for a test. The sofa is both sturdy and cozy.