Outdoor areas around your house need bench and storage as how the indoor areas do. Yet, sometimes the available area for those two is so limited you need to choose one of them only. If that is what you experience, you do need to try this DIY outdoor storage bench. Not only will this project give you a bench to sit on, it will only provide additional storage for the stuff you use outdoor.
- 2 pieces of outdoor door hinges
- 2-inch screws
- 1 ¼ -inch screws
- Elmer’s Wood Filler and Glue
- 1 ¼” pocket hole screws
- 120-grit sandpaper
- Paint and the brush
- Speed square
- Tape measure
- Ear protection
- Safety glasses
- Kreg jig
- Circular saw
- Boards with the following numbers and sizes:
- 8’ long, 1×4, 15 pieces
- 8’ long, 1×3, 6 pieces
- 8’ long, 1×2, 2 pieces
- To begin with, take a look at the dimension of the storage bench below and make the cuts whose sizes listed below:
For the top
- 13 pieces of top slats with the size of 1×4 @23 ¾”
- 3 pieces of top frame supports with the size of 1×2 @45 ½”
For the bottom
- 6 pieces for bottom with the size of 1×4 @47”
For the end panels
- 12 pieces of end panel slats with the size of 1×4 @17”
- 4 pieces of frame for the ends with the size of 1×3 @16 ¼”
- 4 pieces of frame for the tops and bottoms with the size of 1×3 @17 ¼”
For the side panels
- 4 legs with the size of 1×4 @20”
- 22 side slats with the size of 1×4 @17”
- 4 frame boards for the ends with the size of 1×2 @11 ¼”
- 4 frame boards for the bottom and top with the size of 1×3 @45 ½”
- To start constructing the storage bench, start building the side panels. Start the construction with one of the legs. From the outer part, make a mark on the leg with the gap of 1 ½”. Then, attach the top corner with the pink board and give the green board ¼”space from the boards in green to join it with the pink board. Secure them with 1 screw. Then, make any necessary adjustment so that the leg corners can be square to each other. Next, attach the legs to the blue boards then the pink boards and secure them with 1 ¼” screws and glue. Repeat the process for the other panel.
- Next, construct the end panels by attaching the green board to the blue one and by screwing them. Then, lay the boards in pink on the top of the green ones and screw and glue them. Make sure you maintain the ¾” gap under the pink boards’ bottom.
- Next, attach the panels as shown in the picture below and secure them with 2” screws.
- After that, take the bottom boards, join them with the construction, and screw them using the 2”.
- Then, construct the top panel like shown in the picture. Don’t forget to screw in 1 ¼”screws through the 1×2” into the top slats. Apply some glue to strengthen the attachment. Then, using hinges, attach the bench’s top parts. Once you are done assembling all the parts, you can add some silicone to give your bench finished.