Renew your bathroom by giving a new addition to it so that you can always enjoy your shower time. The new stuff to be added to the bathroom is not necessarily to be the complicated and expensive one. You can rely on the power of your hands to work on DIY project. Here is a tutorial on how to make DIY rustic over the toilet shelf for giving a new touch to your bathroom.
- ¾” Black Iron Pipe (2 pieces @10” length)
- ¾” Pipe Cap (2 pieces)
- ¾” Flange (2 pieces)
- 2 x 10 cut to desired length (1 piece)
- Spray paint primer
- Wall anchors
- Black hammered spray paint
- Minwax Special Walnut
- Lint free rag
- Sherwin Williams Urban Bronze
- Sand paper
- Steel wool
- Damp rag
- Minwax Jacobean Stain
- Lint free cloths
- Attach the ¾” flange to the wall and then screw on some metal pipes onto it. You are going to need to attach two flanges for the right and left side of the shelf.
- After attaching the flanges, attach pipe caps to the end of the metal pipes.
- Get your wood shelves and paint or stain them with any color you want. Her, we use farmhouse distressed look for the finish. To get this finish style, follow the following steps and see the pictures below each instruction. (The pictures were taken from giving a farmhouse style finish to a table, not to this toilet shelf. Refer to those pictures to check whether you already get the correct color and look.)
- Stain the wood with the Minwax Special Walnut by rubbing it on using a lint free rag. Let it dry.
- Paint the base of the wood with the Sherwin Williams Urban Bronze. Let it dry. Sand the paint off before it’s fully set to get the distressed look using steel wool and then continue with sandpaper.
- Now work on the top of the wood by adding some gray to the top by brushing the paint on and wiping it off with a damp rag. Let it dry.
- Quickly and lightly apply a thin coat of Minwax Jacobean Stain to the top using lint free cloths. Let it dry.
- Once you are done painting the shelves, you can put the woods on the pipes.
- The next step will be decorating step. You can store anything you want on the shelves like towel, soap, or other bathroom supplies. Once you are done decorating it, you are ready to display the shelf.