When you have a baby or a pet, you probably need a gate to separate each room. Yet, it is quite expensive to buy one. You should pay about $50 for each! It is better to make the gate yourself, isn’t it? Besides it is much cheaper this way, it also takes only about 10 minutes of your time!
Materials and Tools
- 1×4 pine boards
- Miter saw
- Deck screws
Stain or paint
- First of all, you should know that we made the baby or pet gate 36 inches tall. However, you can easily adjust the measurement and number of the boards according to your need. Next, determine the width of the baby or pet gate. In order to know the width of the gate, you simply need to measure your door opening.
- Then, according to the measurement you have got, cut the pine boards using your miter saw.
- After that, you need to arrange the boards to their positions! Adjust the space between each of them based on the measurement you have got earlier. Since it can be quite tricky, we have a tip to make the step simpler! You may use an extra board to space the other ones. It will be easier for you to space them. Plus, you do not even need to use a ruler.
- Then, drill the holes on every board to place the screws. The next step is to attach the boards and keep them in their positions using the deck screws that you have prepared before.
- After attaching all of the boards, you need to measure and mark the positions for the hinges. Then, attach the hinges to the gate.
- You may leave the baby or pet gate looks natural. However, you can also choose either to stain or paint it. To save your money, you can use any left-over stain or paint you have. You may want to experiment with the color so that it matches the room’s interior design. Let the paint or stain dry.
- After the stain or paint has dried, you can easily install the baby or pet gate to the wall.
What do you think of the new baby or pet gate that you have made? It looks amazing, right? The simple and yet gorgeous style of the gate makes your room look unique. You can experiment with other shapes too. Just throw away the old plastic baby or pet gate you have and replace it with the wooden one!